Writer: Cinnamon LionWriter Ratings:Overall: Cast: Plot: Effects: Cinematography: Watch this if you liked:
“The Visit” The Good, the Bad and the Unwelcomed Visitor:
• Debutant director Jordan Peele has succeeded in something that sometimes even more experienced filmmakers fail in - creating an interesting and insightful masterpiece with social commentary.
• From the writing to directing, to acting and even the score, editing, and cinematography, the movie is a surprisingly subtle and effective horror film for our times with some satirically dark humour and racial paranoia.
• Daniel Kaluuya is great, he makes for a relatable and likable protagonist that the audience can root for, and he's supported by some truly amazing actors and characters especially Lil Rel Howery who plays his foul-mouthed, hilarious friend.
• The movie is one of the best cinematic examples of presenting race in a long time as it perfectly captures the racial divide in modern America, and its depiction of the daily struggles faced by minorities is remarkable and so true to life.
• In terms of the plot, the movie may seem familiar in its construction in some ways, but is completely fresh in execution as it does not pull out any of the usual horror tropes or cliches.
• Overall, the movie easily put itself among the all-time horror greats while being intellectually engaging and genuinely funny. Trivia:
• According to director Jordan Peele, the movie was inspired by one of Eddie Murphy's stand-up comedy shows where he talked about going to meet a Caucasian girlfriend's parents.Cinema Online, 20 April 2017